Extreme Manchester weather increases risk of accidents
Forecasters have revealed Manchester is set to experience an extreme shift in the weather over December.
After a notably mild summer and autumn period, temperatures are expected to drop dramatically over the coming weeks, and frost is expected to appear. One forecaster has commented that it will be a “shock to the system” for many people.
Tips for driving in adverse weather
When the roads and pavements are extremely icy and snowy, it is best to drive only when absolutely essential. If you can avoid using your car, it is always best to – that is the only way you can be sure to avoid an accident.
Before you start your journey, you must make sure that:
- Your intended route is clear – check for accident reports and delays online
- Your windscreens, windows and mirrors are defrosted and demisted
- Your headlights and brake lights are working (and cleared of ice and snow)
- Any large blocks of ice and snow on your roof are removed, as they could slide off and cause an accident or harm a pedestrian
While driving in icy and snowy conditions, you should:
- Remain alert and cautious, even if the roads look as though they have been sufficiently gritted
- Go at a slower speed and in a higher gear, as this will help to prevent skidding during acceleration
- Avoid making sudden turns and slow down, even more, when you go around bends
- Stay further behind the vehicle in front than you normally would, as your brakes will not work as effectively
If you are involved in an accident
Unfortunately, no matter how carefully you drive, there is always the possibility that you will encounter a less careful road user – even in adverse conditions. If you are injured in an accident that is caused by another motorist’s carelessness, you could be entitled to make a claim.
At the scene of the accident, wherever possible, it is always advisable to:
- Get the other driver’s registration number and insurance details
- If possible, take photographs of the damage to all vehicles involved in the accident
- Call an ambulance and the police immediately if there are any injuries
Sheldon Davidson Solicitors have years of experience in handling personal injury claims and have obtained practical financial support and expert medical care for countless clients that have been innocent victims in road traffic accidents.
Sheldon Davidson Solicitors are Manchester's Personal Injury Specialists with expertise in settling a broad spectrum of Personal Injury Claims, including everything from Serious Injury Claims and Construction Accident Claims to Medical Negligence Claims.